After years of usage, the performance of your Mac system inevitably deteriorates due to the accretion of data, junk files, etc. Restoring Mac to factory settings is an effective way to get your device back to its peak of performance. When you choose to restore Mac to factory settings, it brings your device back to its default or original settings by deleting all the trash, data, viruses, etc. that have got accumulated over the years. However, on the downside, deleting of important data can be a risk if you have not created the data backup before performing a factory restore.
That is why tech gurus keep recommending creating data backup before you reset Mac to factory settings. However, if out of ignorance or mistake or accident or any other reason, you failed to create the data backup before restoring Mac to factory settings, then also you need not worry. You can easily retrieve the lost or deleted data by using various tools.
Retrieve Deleted Data After Factory Restore
Getting the Mac factory reset without data backup confirms that you have lost all your Mac data. Don’t worry as you yet get the data back by using the free data recovery tool SoftTote for Mac. It is a leading recovery tool that can retrieve deleted data from Mac devices and iOS devices. The data from your Apple device can get lost not just because factory restore, but there can be other scenarios also. For instance, you can lose your data due to accidental deletion, data loss because the device got stolen, failed iOS upgrade, jailbreak, virus invasion, etc.
SoftTote uses the iTunes backup to recover the lost data. It can recover all types of text files such as contacts, messages, calendar, notes, Safari bookmark, and call history. Then, it can also recover media files such as photos, audios in voice memos and videos in camera roll.
Highlight Feature of SoftTote
- It supports Mac OS X versions 10.6 / 10.7 / 10.8 / 10.9
- It can recover data from iTunes Backup without connecting the device
- The tool has advanced scanning technology and thus, it scans thoroughly.
- It can extract both media files and text files
- The recovered files can get exported to match file formats and thus, the original quality gets maintained.
How to Use SoftTote to Recover Data After Restoring Mac to Factory Settings?
SoftTote has three recovery tools- File Recovery, Photo Recovery, and Lost Partition Recovery. Read below to learn how to use this tool to recover the lost or deleted data due to a factory reset, accidental loss, virus invasion or any other reason.
- Go to Mac download center.
- Download Mac Data Recovery tool SoftTote.
- Install it on any disk except the one where you lost your data.
- Then tap on ‘Run.’
- A registry window will open; here use the license code to activate the program.
- If you have no license, then you can try the free trial. A free trial can only scan but can’t recover files. For performing data recovery you have to use the full version tool.
- Data Recovery Registry Window
- Now, the main window will open; here choose “File Recovery.”
- Now, you will be able to see the Mac internal hard drive and Mac-based external hard drive
- Here, select the disk that contains the lost files
- Now, the tool will scan for the files and show you the result on the left side of the preview window
- From the result, you need to select the files you want to recover.
- Press the ‘Space’ key to preview and check the selected files and then confirm the files to start the recovery process.
- Scanning takes time. Thus, if you know the exact file type of the item you want to recover, then use the “Option” button and specify the file type.
- Specify a store location for the recovered files.
- And the tool will recover your deleted or lost files.
It is wise to reset Mac to factory settings if you want to build back the dropping performance of your Mac device. However, before you restore Mac to factory settings, creating a data backup is one very mandatory step because the factory reset deletes all types of data on your system’s hard drive. But if you have forgotten to create the data backup and have already performed the factory reset, then you can retrieve the deleted data by using SoftTote. It is a Mac approved data recovery tool that supports Mac OS x and iOS. It can retrieve data even in case of accidental deletion, virus invasion, and data loss because of stolen device. To recover data, it uses iTune backup and thus, doesn’t even require connecting the device.