A PC issue is always frustrating for a PC user whether it is Windows or Mac PC. It becomes a huge pain if you are working on something very important, and your PC starts freezing, crashing or it shuts down. Sometimes, your PC becomes irresponsive to keyboard and mouse commands to make the situation worse. These problems occur due to a variety of Windows errors, and ‘the remote procedure call failed’ is one of those. Things may become easy for you if you have a techie friend, or you have a fair understanding of the PC components and software. However, if you are a basic user, it becomes very tricky to get it fixed.
Troubleshooting critical error like ‘the remote procedure call failed’ is very difficult but in the modern era of technology and blazingly fast Internet connectivity, PC service is no more a hassle. With the advent of online computer support, users around the globe are enjoying quick PC service. Through tech support, users facing an error can instantly get connected to a certified computer technician and get the issue resolved online. It is true that you don’t care about money when your malfunctioning PC is creating huge problems for your work. But if you don’t want to spend money on computer technicians, you can try troubleshooting the issue yourself.
Before you go into the detailed troubleshooting steps, let us first know more about the symptoms and causes of the remote procedure call failed’ error.
Symptoms and Causes
A variety of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users have reported the remote procedure call failed error. In most of the cases, the error takes when the user runs the cleanup software. While running system file checker, the user ends up with remote procedure call failed issues because of a few defective files that disrupt the process.
Quick Resolution Steps
In this blog post, you will get step-by-step troubleshooting guide to fix the error. Let us follow the below steps and get rid of this fatal Windows error.
Follow the below-given instructions to fix the issue:
Check and Enable Services
As stated above, this error takes place because of faulty files so do the following to fix the issue.
- First of all, open Run through the Start menu.
- Now type ‘services.msc’ in the Run box and press Enter. As a result, the services manager windows will appear.
- Next, you need to start searching remote procedure call service as it may be the source of the problem. The remote procedure service must get started, and it should be in an automatic mode. If the service doesn’t start then, you need to press Start to resume it.
- Now, you need to double-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locater service that remains located right under the RPC. Here, you also need to ensure that the startup type of the service is set to ‘Manual.’
- Now double-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locater service that is located just below the RPC. You must ensure here that the startup type of this service is set to ‘Manual.
- Restart the system once you apply all the changes. Hopefully, the system will not show any error if the issue was created by faulty or corrupt service files.
Run Important Commands and Install Patches
You also face the error in Windows 8 when you use or access Windows Store apps. If you are getting the remote procedure call failed error message while accessing the Windows app store, then it means that something is wrong with the Windows registry.
Perform the below steps to fix the error:
- First open the services.msc using the Run box then check if the RPC and RPC allocator services are running. Also see the startup mode as discussed earlier in the blog.
- Now, once again open Run and then type Regedt32.exe and press Enter. As a result, Registry editor will open before you.
Note: It is advisable to create restore points before you enter to the Windows registry to prevent loss to settings or data just in case something wrong happens.
- Now move towards the location path given below as you can see in the image.
- Here scroll down and find out winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy subkey. The subkey is very critical, and it should be there. Failing to find out the key suggests that all is not well in the Registry. If you don’t find it, you should create it by right-clicking on Storage key and then selecting New key. You need to create two win store subkeys – cw5n1h2txyewy and name them as Internet Settings and Software.
- In the next step, you need to download the .exe file for SetACL. With a bit of online research, you can get the source website for this file.
- Once you finish downloading, you will obtain a Zip file. Extract the file and then ensure that you place the SetACL.exe file to C: \Windows\System32.
- Now, you need to run the command mentioned below in the command prompt.
- Here you must make sure that you are pasting the right command. You need to be very careful about commas and quotation marks otherwise the command will fail to run.
SetACL -on “hkcu\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy” -ot reg -actn ace -ace “n:S-1-15-2-2608634532-1453884237-1118350049-1925931850-670756941-1603938316-3764965493;p:full;i:so,sc;m:grant;w:dacl”
- Now, restart your PC you run the command. Hopefully, the remote procedure call failed error message will not appear anymore on your screen.
It is the irony of computers that one error takes place because of many reasons, so there is no wonder if you keep receiving the error message even after applying these tips. Apparently, you need a periodic PC service and optimization for your PC to keep it fit for work. In case, all these means fail, then it is the right time to go for tech support agents and call a certified technician to fix the PC.