When you require moving files between two Apple devices, then AirDrop is undoubtedly the best tool you can use. When first introduced, AirDrop was capable of transferring files from one Mac system to another Mac only. From a Mac-To Mac thing, it became iPhone-to-iPhone thing allowing the transferring of files between two iOS devices, i.e., iPhone or iPad.
But now AirDrop has got all more powerful with the new Mac OS X Yosemite and iOS 8. As a result now you can start using AirDrop between Mac and iPad or iPhone and easily share files from your Mac to iPad (iPhone) and vice versa.
Enable AirDrop in Your Devices
For using AirDrop from iPhone to Mac, first you must make sure that your devices run on iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. If your query is “can I Airdrop from Mac to iPhone (iPad)”? Then it’s only possible if your Mac runs on Yosemite and your iPhone or iPad runs on iOS 8. In other Mac OS X and iOS, you can’t get the new cross-platform capability. So, your first requirement is to have the compatible operating systems. That means only the following Apple devices are suitable for using Airdrop from iPhone to Mac:
- Mac OS X Yosemite
- iPad 4th generation and up
- iPhone 5 or later
- iPad mini
- 5th-generation iPod touch
Learn Using AirDrop Between Mac and iPad
To get started with Airdrop in iOS 8 and Yosemite devices, first set your iPhone or iPad. To do that, perform the following steps:
- Unlock your iPhone or iPad
- Swipe up from the lock or Home screen
- Activate the ‘Control Center’
- Tap on ‘AirDrop’ icon
- Next, choose with whom you want to see you device availability. Here you have the options “Contacts Only” and “Everyone.”
- You will need an AirDrop supporting app to initiate the file sharing process from your iOS 8 device. You can easily share stuff from apps like Photos, Contacts, Safari, Notes, etc.
- Once you have made your iOS 8 device visible, come back to your Mac system
How to Use AirDrop on Mac?
To make AirDrop work in OS X, perform the following steps:
- Go to the Finder, click on the ‘AirDrop’ icon or you can select ‘AirDrop’ from the Finder’s ‘Go’ menu
- Open the ‘AirDrop’ window in the Finder
- Now, check the lower part of the window, and you will see your ‘Mac user’ icon. Additionally, you will also see the user icons of the nearby iPhone or iPad users, who have kept their AirDrop visibility on.
- Identify the user account with whom you want to share files. Similarly, you can check from your iOS 8 device whether you can see the user icon of the Mac system.
- Just like the ‘Mac-to-Mac’ thing and ‘iPhone-to-iPhone’ thing, even for using Airdrop between Mac and iPad you need the two devices with a reasonable range. You can also enjoy seamless transfer of files, even if your Apple devices are not in the same network.
- Once you can see the user icon of the Mac Yosemite and iOS 8 device, then you can start the file sharing process.
Sending From iOS 8 device to Mac
- In your iPhone or iPad choose the files you want to share with Mac
- Tap on the ‘Mac user’ icon with whom you want to share the files
- Again make sure the Mac has an ‘AirDrop’ window open in the Finder
- Once you tap on the receiver icon, you will see a small progress line indicating that the file is being sent.
Sending From Mac to iOS 8 device
- On your Mac, choose the files you want to share with iOS 8 device
- Tap on the ‘iOS user’ icon with whom you want to share the files
- Again make sure that the receiving iPhone or iPad has ‘AirDrop’ enabled. Also that it is to either ‘Contact Only,’ if you are in the contact list or ‘Everyone,’ if you are not in contacts of iOS 8.
- Once you tap on the receiver iOS 8 icon, you will see a small progress line indicating that the file is being sent.
Receiving the Shared Files
On the receiving Mac or iOS 8 device, you will see a notification popping up with a beep sound, indicating that you have a file to receive. Just ‘Accept’ or ‘Decline’ the incoming file. The incoming file will open it in its respective app. That means an image will open in ‘Photo’ app, contact will open on ‘Contact’ app and a website will open in, ‘Safari.’
Thus, now you know how to use AirDrop on Mac for sending files to iOS 8 device or vice versa. It is quite an easy and fast process. The only requirements are that you should have an iOS 8 device and a Yosemite Mac to utilize the cross-platform file transferring.