In our last blog post, we discussed various steps and ways of installing printer to your network. So we have briefly understood how to install a network printer. Now, in this blog post we are going to discuss various important things and ways of installing USB printers. You would be able to understand this process easily if you know how to install a wireless printer.
About USB Printer
Before understanding a USB printer, it is important to know and understand a USB printer port. A USB printer port is a socket that is built into a printing device to facilitate the connection of a printer to a computer. For connecting the printer first, you have to insert the plug into the port and then the USB port in the computer. Hopefully, you all know about a USB port in the computer. The prime advantage of using a USB printer is that it doesn’t require that bulky printer cable for connecting a parallel port. Furthermore, it is also useful in connecting printers to the computers that lack parallel port as it usually happens in the case of laptops. So by now you probably have understood the importance of USB printers and USB ports.
Let us understand how the new laptops work with printers. Majority of the modern printers works with the help of a USB printer port instead of a parallel port. The name of this port has been given considering its usage not the design because all ports for connecting USB devices look same in design. The cable used for connecting USB printers is a standard USB plug which we know as type A that is at the computer’s end and the type B in square shape, which is at the printer’s end.
Usually, you require a trained hardware engineer for installing your printer especially if you don’t know how to install a wireless printer. But don’t worry as this blog will guide you to connect your printer without the help of any hardware engineer. For connecting a printer, you have to consider both hardware and software adjustments so that you don’t face any issue.
How to install a USB Printer on your Windows and Mac computers
Although, it is not very complex or difficult to understand the process, but it may turn out tedious for you if you are not aware of the hardware and software components of your PC or printer. Let us know about these steps one by one.
1. First of all, you have to plug the printer properly into your PC. Make sure the connection is not loose as it will prevent the printer from functioning properly. Moreover, you have to ensure that you have plugged the printer into a printer USB port directly on your PC and not a USB hub.
For some specific printers, you may require plugging the devices into a power source as well.
2. Now switch on the printer. When you switch on the printer you will hear the sound coming from the start of page feed mechanism and the indicators or display of the device will also light up.
3. Now wait patiently to get the operating system loaded. Now OS will detect and install the printer. Modern printer versions running on Windows and Mac OS X are capable of detecting the printer automatically and also installing the required drivers. So you shouldn’t worry if you don’t know how to install a printer driver. But you have to stay connected to the internet to make your printer’s OS download important files from the Internet. For most of the users, this is all about connecting the printer as rest of the processes take place automatically.
But if your printer is using an older Windows or OS X version then stay on and read further.
Install the software
4. The next step is to install the software that you usually receive with every printer. You require such software when the drivers are not installed automatically, and you require installing additional printing software to take advantage of extra features provided with your printer. Those, who neither have a disc nor got the drivers detected automatically by the operating system should read on further.
Download the drivers from the OEM’s website
5. As stated above to run the printer properly you require the settings of both hardware and software. Therefore, if the OS does not automatically download the software/drivers or you don’t have the software disc then the last resort is to visit the OEM site. You can find and download the drivers directly from the website of the manufacturer. But to download the right driver you must know the model number of your printer. You will find the number embossed on the backside of the device.
For more information or any specific printer support, you can go to Google and find the support page for various OEMs.
Now you can download drivers from the website of your OEM. Once the driver installation is complete, your printer gets ready for printing. You can take prints using any programs that support the device for printing.
However, the steps mentioned above are lucid and easy to understand but stalemates during installing printer can’t be avoided entirely. In case you face any challenge, the best solution would be to call a professional printer support helpdesk or an online technical support helpdesk and get the issue fixed online.